1. How long have you been cosplaying?
A lot of people tend to say something about when they first started putting a ton of effort into halloween costumes, and I\'m no different, but not counting that, I guess I would consider it to run alongside going to my first convention in \'03. So that\'s... 10 years! Wow!
2. What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself?
Uhh, break down the categories for me, and I guess I could tell you.
3. Cosplay or Crossplay?
Both. I really don\'t see much of a distinction, to be honest.
4. Why do you cosplay?
I believe that attempting to merge the worlds of fantasy and reality, if only for a short time, is a lovely and worthwhile effort to light up imaginations and bring us closer to the art we all create.
5. Is cosplay a hobby you could see yourself doing in 10 years?
I\'ve been doing it for 10 years already :\'D
6. If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do?
Haters gonna hate.
I wouldn\'t particularly care, unless they were giving honest critique. At that point, I would really appreciate it.
7. If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do?
Give them a big thank you, and generally be really appreciative.
8. Homemade Cosplay or Bought/Commissioned Cosplay?
I have both, actually. But only two have ever been commissioned. If you\'re going to not make your outfit, I highly suggest going the route of a commissioner instead of a store-bought thing, with the one exception of uniforms.
9. There is a lot of debate if Western/Asians should cosplay. Your thoughts?
I don\'t really think this is a relevant debate anymore...
10. Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
I prefer working with others when it comes to shoots and groups, but at the end of the day, I\'ll always cosplay who I want.
11. Do you have a current cosplay fav?
I don\'t like to \'play favourites,\' but to say that I\'m not in love with my skull suit right now would be a downright lie.
12. What is your most expensive cosplay project?
I think Raiden\'s skull suit might be the most expensive so far, at ~$500? Not including the money for getting my hair done, as I didn\'t use a wig with the outfit.
13. What is your least expensive cosplay project?
Back in the day, when I cosplayed Stephanie. She was decidedly under budget, at $150
14. What is your favorite cosplay project?
Isn\'t this the same as my \'current cosplay fav\'
15. What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours?
My biggest pet peeve is Yugioh cosplay in which the male characters have liquid eyeliner. I could write an essay on this, but I\'ll spare you here. I also don\'t like seeing people cosplay without any makeup at all. Of course, I\'m biased because I\'m a makeup artist, but I really feel like it completes the package of the look you\'re presenting.
16. If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Depends on the outfit, of course.
17. What was your first convention?
18. What was your last convention?
Anime Los Angeles (2012)
19. What is your next convention?
Probably this year\'s Anime Expo, or AM(2)
20. What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay?
The attention I get. I\'m not afraid to admit that.
21. What is your least favorite part?
I tend to get a couple moments of hesitation (stage fright?) right before I go on to a convention floor, or show off my outfit for the first time. Even sometimes when I\'m just trying it on for the first time myself!
22. Videos or photography?
Photography, though I\'ve been curious about the former.
23. Photoshopped or Unshopped images?
Photoshopped. I like a collaboration (especially with
24. How do you view yourself as a cosplayer?
I used to see myself as just a hobbyist, but I\'m now looking to see how I can expand and grow from a hobbyist into something more. I want to give back to the cosplay community in some way.
25. What is cosplay to you?
Making and wearing costumes of pre-existing characters. (I don\'t believe in \"cosplaying an OC.\" To me, that\'s just costuming.)
26. For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay. Your thoughts?
I believe that anyone can cosplay as a hobby, BUT if you\'re expecting to become an exemplary cosplayer and further your art, you need to be aware of your body image. I do not factor in race or ethnicity into what I mean by this, but simply body shape and size. For instance, I\'m 5\'10\" and fairly curvy-- I\'m not going to be cosplaying Stephanie again anytime soon. Even if I was a rail, I would still simply be too tall to pull off a character who is 8 years old.
27. Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so, how much?
Yes I do. Marina Liteyears is by far the most uncomfortable outfit I\'ve ever made. Layers of stretch PVC, carved foam, then more PVC, and to top it off, I\'m trapped in the thigh-high boots with heels as high as my phone until the whole outfit comes off. And I can\'t even sit in the skirt. Bleeding for my art, indeed. ;A;
28. Yaoi or Yuri in cosplay?
I don\'t have a problem with it, as long as it\'s tasteful.
29. How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day, are you \"YOU\" or are you your \"CHARACTER\"?
I tend to keep a rule of only going in character when addressed as the character, or in photographs. That way, it stays light and fun, without unnecessary miscommunications.
30. Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them pre-styled?
Wigs, mostly. However, there have been some exceptions
31. Contacts or no contacts?
31. How do you save money for your cosplay hobby?
I usually half my paychecks, and put away half. Half goes to rent, groceries, and other living expenses, while the other half goes to \'fun\' things like clothes and cosplay supplies.
32. When do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only?
Of course, it\'s easiest to cosplay at fan events and conventions, but I also like going on location for photoshoots. I don\'t really like just walking around in cosplay without a good reason.
33. Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots?
I go to
... I think I\'m noticing a trend here.
and anyone else who feels like indulging their inner attention whore for a bit <3